One of my literary friends wrote an article today about being a mom. She ended with a list of things she never thought she’d say. One of the really hard parts about caring for a parent is switching roles with them and becoming the authority figure in the relationship. Following are some things I never thought I’d say to one or both of my parents.
- I know you don’t feel like you need to go to the bathroom, but go before we leave, just in case.
- Yes, you have to go to the dentist.
- It’s not a great idea to put the ice cream in the vegetable drawer.
- No, you can’t wear that shirt again. You’ve worn it every day this week.
- Dad, you’re wearing Mom’s glasses.
- No, we’re not there yet.
- It’s okay. I know you didn’t spill on purpose.
- You’ll be fine with Jim. I’ll be back before you know it.
- Open your mouth. Just one more bite.
- Do you know who I am?