On caregivers, faith, family, and writing…

Published in the Rains County Leader on April 6, 2021:

Naps are not a normal part of my routine, but I made an exception Sunday afternoon. In my defense, it had been a hectic week. Keeping in mind that hectic has a different meaning to retired people than to those still in the work force, here’s my story.

Monday’s schedule was normal with nothing more hectic than an afternoon workout at the gym. But Tuesday we drove to Bonham for David’s 2nd COVID shot which meant leaving the house shortly after sunrise. On the way home, we stopped at the Library to pick up a movie for later and at Brookshire’s for our contribution to lunch with Bill and Susan. They are regulars at our Friday night Bible study and recently invited the group to their home for a hymn sing. I was nominated to play the piano, and although I thoroughly enjoyed her Baldwin baby grand, I’m very rusty after ten years without a piano in my home. She loves to sing, so she invited us to come over for burgers and a practice session.

We had a great time, but we had to stop when my arthritic hands began to protest. By the time we made it home, it was time to get ready for movie night. One of our neighbors had offered to bring the makings for nachos if we would provide the venue and the movie. We watched The Matrix Revolutions and discussed things we had missed in previous viewings. It was a fun day, but hectic by our standards.


Wednesday means ladies’ Bible study at 9:30 – and it was our 21st anniversary. We had planned to go to Sulphur Springs for lunch and a bit of shopping, but David was feeling a bit under the weather after his injection. By evening, he was feeling better, so we went out for dinner. We were home before dark – not a hectic day, but any change in schedule is tiring for us seniors.

The next day offered a little respite with a few normal activities followed by a quiet evening at home. Friday was also a quiet day until evening when the weekend began to gear up. Home Group had been cancelled so we could attend the Community Good Friday Service. Some couldn’t come, but we managed to fill a pew. Food is always a part of our meetings, so after a thoughtful and contemplative service we went out for barbecue.

Saturday was not only a day of more eating and more socializing but also a day of preparation. Since we weren’t having our usual family gathering, I invited three neighbors to join us for lunch on Resurrection Sunday. After the First Saturday Breakfast at House of Prayer – during which I learned that David and Charles had made plans for us to go eat cat fish for dinner that night – I bought groceries and began cooking for Sunday. By the end of the day we had enjoyed more good company, we had accumulated more take-home boxes of leftovers, and I had made a good start on our holiday meal.

I went to bed feeling confident that my holiday dinner checklist was well in hand – but I couldn’t go to sleep. At 12:30 I slipped out of bed, brewed a cup of peppermint tea, and read for a while, waiting for sleep to come. Finally at 2:00 am I crawled back into bed, hoping to get a few hours sleep before the alarm went off.

I did sleep, but not enough to make me ready to get up at 5:30. The excitement of the day along with a hot shower, help me get going though. Once I was dressed, I put the ham in the crockpot, made tea and raspberry lemonade, and set the table while David played YouTube videos of Easter favorites. We made it to the 8:00 am service in plenty of time to share hugs with friends and greet newcomers. After an amazing time of celebration and listening to the Word, we returned home and moved into the final phase of meal prep. I stayed on schedule, and everything went well except for the mess when the ham glaze boiled over. To everyone’s surprise, lunch was ready on time, and we enjoyed a delicious meal if I do say so myself.

My David and our neighbor David P. cleared the table and loaded the dishwasher while the rest of us continued to visit. As full tummies led to heavy eyes, the subject of naps came up, and I said that I didn’t nap much. At most, I might drift off for a 10-15 minute cat nap – usually unintentional.

By 3:00 pm the guests had gone home, the remaining food had been put away, and most of the pots and pans had been washed. I ran out of space on my dish drying mats about the time I ran out of energy. David was snoozing on the couch, so I decided to move to the loveseat and work on my columns. However, before there were many words on the page, my hectic week caught up with me and I laid my head down for just a few minutes. I woke up two hours later.

As life gets back to normal, people seem to want to make up for lost time and schedules fill up fast. It’s my intention to keep long naps as the exception rather than the rule. I’ll let you know how that goes.



Kitty’s Story

Fallen Angel Salvage

Tatia’s Tattoo

Mom’s Long Goodbye

A Long and Winding Road

Comments on: "Excuses for an Afternoon Nap | By Linda Brendle" (4)

  1. I don’t take naps as a customer but some days I wish I could. It sounds like you had a wonderful day! Hope to see you soon. Maybe breakfast this Saturday as I now know where it is!

  2. as a custom…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: